Subject: Re: Adding Disks - SUCCESS!
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/30/1998 22:42:29
Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> At 09:08 PM 8/30/98 -0400, Stan Pietkiewicz wrote:
> >I have a feeling this may be a FAQ, or even an RTFD, but I've been
> >trying to add a second hard drive to my AXPci33 running NetBSD 1.3e, and
> >I keep running into this when I try to newfs a partition on it:
> >
> >newfs: /dev/(r)sd1a  open: device not configured
> >
> >I get this even after running /dev/MAKEDEV sd1 .
> >
> >Am I missing something, or is something broken??
>
> Issue #1: Does the drive show up as sd1 on boot?
>
> I'm guessing it does, but you might want to make sure.
>
> Issue #2: Did you disklabel the disk? If the disk is labeled without a
> partition 'a' then I believe it will give the error you are seeing.

This was the hint that led to the solution..... I had label the disk with
disklabel, but I hadn't specified anything for the filesystem type. I set
that to 4.2BSD (the same as sd0), tried to newfs sd1a, and  - lo and behold -
SUCCESS!!!

Hopefully we'll remember this next time someone else has a similar problem!!

Thanks again......... :-})

Stan