Subject: help me im going insane
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/05/1998 10:34:53
I have a netbsd system with 1.3 and I want to reinstall with 1.3.2

Its an Axppci33 system with a 500 meg disk on the ncr controler
I have added two wide disks on an adaptec 2940uw in a pci slot.

the 500 meg disk (sd0) on the ncr is used to load boot and netbsd from.
root is on one of the wide disks off of the adaptec.

What I want to do is use a kernel that I already have (it is special
because it mounts sd1a as root) and use that with my 1.3.2 system
once its installed.

That way I can install to one of the wide disks and not use the 500 megger
at all.
Then I will always boot from a floppy...

Anyway here is where the fun starts...

I followed the instructions on the FAQ on how to create a boot disk but I
had problems
SRM told me that dva0 did not contain a valid boot block :(

so I grabbed install132.fs and

  vnconfig -v -c /dev/vnd0c install132.fs

then

  mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt

and copied over my netbsd.gz to /mnt and then unmounted and unvnconfig'd

rawrite'd it down to a floppy (on an intel box) and started booting it...

boot loaded up but later bombed shortly.  Here is the last bit of what was
displayed:

3849336lseek text: Unknown error: 88

Boot failed!  Halting...

halt code = 5

And them im shortly back to the >>> prompt

Is my logic impaired here?
what am I doing wrong?

Anyone have a set of instructions on how to make a boot disk
that they have used before?

Thanks,
Nick Maniscalco
nmanisca@vt.edu