Subject: Re: Two unrelated problems on my AlphaStation 200
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd1.cygnus.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/04/1998 08:31:28
"R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@arioch.imrryr.org> writes:
> The tale of woe begins as such.  My basic config is an AlphaStation
> 200 4/233 with 16 Meg a' Ram and a SCSI disk and an Aria 16 sound card.
> Some VGA graphics card.  And there is some pcmcia card in it that hasn't
> really forced any interest out of me, yet.

You "need" more than 16MB of memory.  (I seem to recall ross saying that the system got nearly, but not quite, to single-user for him on a 16MB system, but even if it does get there it'll spend all its time paging.)

I'd advise 48 or 64 if you can swing it, but, depending on what you're
doing you may be OK with 32.  (I've got 32 in a machine that I use as
a web and POP server, and it runs file.)  For a Long Time I did all my
builds on a 64MB AlphaStation 200, running X, etc.

cgd