Subject: Two unrelated problems on my AlphaStation 200
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@arioch.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/04/1998 02:08:48
Well,

The tale of woe begins as such.  My basic config is an AlphaStation
200 4/233 with 16 Meg a' Ram and a SCSI disk and an Aria 16 sound card.
Some VGA graphics card.  And there is some pcmcia card in it that hasn't
really forced any interest out of me, yet.

I installed the latest snapshot a couple of weeks ago, and sup'ed down
a slightly more recent version of the source (circa a bit before July
19th.)  And I noticed that whenever I really exercised the machine for
a bit (i.e. compiling perl, etc..)  I'd crash with:

# dmesg -M netbsd.0.core -N netbsd.0
extent_alloc_subregion: can't allocate region descriptor
extent_alloc_subregion: can't allocate region descriptor
extent_alloc_subregion: can't allocate region descriptor
extent_alloc_subregion: can't allocate region descriptor
panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
syncing disks... panic: lockmgr: locking against myself

This was pretty repeatable.  So today, I sup'ed a new kernel.  This
one refuses to speak to the SCSI disk.  It boots to the point of
root on sd0a swap on sd0b, and then hangs for a while, finally complaining
that the abort timed out.

So the question is:

Has any one else experienced either of these problems with relatively
or very recent kernels?

 == Roland