Subject: Re: Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/21/1998 17:22:38
On 21-Jul-98 Ross Harvey spoke unto us all:
# > Hm, not sure I agree to the solution, although I can sympatize
# > with the desire for flexibility.
# >
#
#  Interesting points. This subject comes up periodically when people haven't
#  set the -rpath _at all_, and then want the ld.so.conf and they advance the
#  obvious it-should-be-configurable argument.
#

I'm starting to fall towards Ross's arguments about this stuff..  Rpath is
kindof a neat feature..  The only big drawback I see to it is NFS
repositories..  something like /export/pkg/ would need a symlink on the server
end to be runnable there.. (or would have to have both rpaths linked in, IE: a
manual build.)

One thing we do lose on with ld.so.conf is the "it should just work" argument.
Having to tell people to edit ld.so.conf when they install the pkg system, and
X11, and /usr/local.. is a bit non-intuitive to some people. As is running
ldconfig all the time..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html