Subject: Re: Shared object "libX11.so.6" not found
To: None <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/21/1998 16:56:29
> I think it would be better to enhance the ELD ld.so so that it
> could consult /var/run/ld.so.hints (like a.out ports do) unless
> -R/-rpath is specified. Then one can move libraries without
> relinking apps.

Hm, not sure I agree to the solution, although I can sympatize
with the desire for flexibility.

There are existance proofs that other ELF systems can make do
without a cache.  Someone else told me earlier that HP-UX has a tool
(ld in HP-UX case, if I remember correctly) which can re-target the
compiled-in -rpath directives, and that seems to me to be the right
way to deal with this problem.  It has also been pointed out to me
that RedHat Linux has an ELF system which *does* use a cache
constructed with ldconfig.  Some say that approach is horribly
wrong...

- H=E5vard