Subject: new snapshot problems
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/11/1998 17:18:47
I tried the install boot floppy from the latest snapshot announced last
week (or so) and encountered the following bizarre problem.  I get as
far as can be seen below, when the graphics display seems to change into
some sort of "block cursor mode" - it homes and then scribbles random
blips of black blocks and untouched blocks (i.e. blocks = font cell size).

I've got an STB Powergraph 64 (S3/Trio64) based card that was fine with
the prior snapshot.  Below is what I saved from a slightly earlier kernel
Jason posted for testing (that exhibited this same behavior).

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.3F (GENERIC) #149: Tue Jun 23 10:13:47 PDT 1998
    thorpej@bishop:/tmp_mnt/dracul/u5/netbsd/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC
Digital AlphaPC 164SX 533 MHz, 531MHz
8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
real mem = 67108864 (1957888 reserved for PROM, 65150976 used by NetBSD)
avail mem = 54386688
using 795 buffers containing 6512640 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: ID 0 (primary), 21164PC (unknown minor type 0x2)
cia0 at mainbus0: DECchip 2117x Core Logic Chipset (Pyxis), pass 1
cia0: extended capabilities: 1<BWEN>
cia0: using BWX for PCI config and device access
pci0 at cia0 bus 0

<then I see slow bursts of "cells" starting at the home position advancing
across and down the screen - as if I'd switched into some other font,
that just isn't displaying correctly - reminds me a little of when I'm
on an old ASCII terminal at the wrong baud rate>