Subject: Re: Support for new Samsung Alpha MBs ?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Isaacson <adisaacs@mtu.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/09/1998 22:39:38
Some private email with Chris J. Krowchuk <chrisk@harddata.com>
provided the following tidbits I thought port-alpha might find
interesting and useful:

>> Jason Thorpe wrote
>> > The LX clone should Just Work...

Samsung's LX board is identical to Digital's, well almost! The solder
mask is really the only difference and one chip is socketed as opposed to
surface mounted. SRM is fine on all LX boards.

The UX2 board and 533 21164a did indeed retail for about $1500.00 USD,
although the new pricing from Samsung that we received yesterday will
increase this price somewhat.

>> > ..and I believe the UX is the same as the Digital Personal Workstation,
>> > a.k.a. Miata, which -current supprts (at least partially; there are still
>> > some problems I'm trying to work out).

No, UX is the "Ruffian" project that Samsung purchased from DeskStation.
BX is the same design minus the on-board SCSI and Ethernet.

The "Miata" uses the same Pyxis chip set as the LX and UX/BX but of
course it is not an ATX form factor, has less slots and 0K cache (it uses
modules, very pricey modules! for cache). It does have ethernet and SCSI
on-board though and this is where people get confused, thinking it is UX.
Digital does not use or produce the UX board in any of their systems.

>> I've spoken to SAMSUNG's technical support and was told that SRM
>> will work on these boards, although I would verify this statement
>> before any purchase.

BX/UX do not support SRM. Consider this a solid verification. ;-)

There was talk of a third party planning on offering a solution, but this
is now vapourware and we have been told by this company that the project
was dropped, for good.

Best regards,

  Chris J. Krowchuk
  Director of Sales and Marketing

  Hard Data Ltd.                        Telephone: + 403-414-9319
  11060 - 166 Avenue                    FAX:       + 403-456-1510
  Edmonton, AB, Canada  - T5X 1Y3       email:chrisk@harddata.com
                                        http://www.harddata.com