Subject: new snapshot, new platforms
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/06/1998 20:33:44
There is a new snapshot available on ftp.netbsd.org and on the mirror sites.
This is a complete snapshot, with X, an updated toolchain source module,
and instructions. The toolchain binaries are merged into the standard sets
as with 1.3.2.

Things to note...

* Complete snapshot:

	* includes an updated toolchain, incorporating binutils 2.8.1,
	  the strip(1) bug is fixed, nicer as(1), etc

	* includes X:		xbase.tgz    xfont.tgz
				xcomp.tgz    xserver.tgz
				xcontrib.tgz

	* includes instructions

* Lots of new platforms:

	* AlphaServer 4100			Rawhide
	* AlphaServer 1000			Mikasa, and Mikasa+Pinnacle
	* AlphaServer 1000A			Noritake, Corelle
	* ALPHABook 1				AlphaBook 1
	* Digital Personal Workstation (550)	Miata
	* EB66

	  In some cases this support is at a rather experimental stage.
	  We would really appreciate it if people with access to any of
	  these systems would try the new snapshot, or at least boot the
	  floppy and see what happens. Other systems with systypes in the
	  above list--like the Alphaserver 800--should also be working now.

	  Support for the 4100 is not on the install floppy, but if you have
	  one we will be happy to make a floppy for you.

* Other -current features

	* PCMCIA

	* UVM. This is the first release with the userland compiled
	  for UVM and with a UVM INSTALL and GENERIC kernel, featuring
	  clustered pageout, faster image startup, and other performance
	  improvements.

Things to look out for...

	The X server hasn't been tested, and is probably temporarily broken
	due to currently active framebuffer console development. I expect
	this will be fixed shortly. The bootfloppy still doesn't support
	the turbochannel systems, but Takuya Koumoto has made one and given
	us a URL: http://sakura.aist-nara.ac.jp/Japanese/student/takuya-k.html

	As usual, don't try to update userland and expect to boot an old
	kernel.

	The instructions (".../INSTALL") won't be on the mirror sites for
	a few more hours.

Ross Harvey