Subject: Re: Shared Memory PProblem?
To: Dave Cherkus <cherkus@homerun.unimaster.com>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/04/1998 09:23:39
> Well, the INSTALL file in the Alpha directory says:
>
>     The sets are extracted with
>
>         for file in base comp etc games man misc text; do
>             tar --unlink -t -z -f /mnt/var/tmp/$file;
>             done
>
>     and the toolchain with
>
>         tar --unlink -t -z -f /mnt/var/tmp/toolchain.tar.gz
>
> Note the 'tar -t' (incorrect) instead of 'tar -x' (correct).  I guess
> this is a newbie filter :-)...  Outside of that, my experiences mirror
> yours.

Hmm?  Where did you see that?  I'm looking at ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/alpha/INSTALL and I see:

--quote--
    For this and the following commands, replace `/mnt/var/tmp/'
    with the path to your NFS volume or CD-ROM if that's how you
    chose to access your install files instead.

    The sets and kernel are extracted with

        cd /mnt
        for file in base kern comp etc games man misc text; do
            tar xpfz /mnt/var/tmp/$file.tgz;
        done

    or (but do NOT unpack source/toolchain.tgz from / or /mnt) perhaps:

        cd /mnt
        for file in /mnt/var/tmp/[a-z]*.tgz; do
            echo $i
            tar xpfz $i
        done
--endquote--

No -t and no --unlink.  But I suppose it is an effective bozo^H^H^H^Hnewbie filter :-)  I see your list of sets doesn't have 'kern'.  Wasn't that a change in 1.3.2?  Perhaps you installed an earlier version?

Ted Spradley <A HREF="mailto:tsprad@metronet.com">tsprad@metronet.com </A> +1-972-484-5356
My other computer is an Alpha.