Subject: Re: Alpha 3000/800 Netbooting problems...
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/26/1998 09:23:34
>> Model 300 has an option to install RX26
>> SCSI floppy inside (our site once had 200 of RX26).  Other models did
>> not have the room.
>
> You might want to keep an open eye for trash cans /dumpsters with
> DECstations in them.

Although DEC3000/300 and Personal DECstation had the same chassises
which could install the 3.5" floppy drive inside with the same form
factor, two were difference beasts.  Model 300 had SCSI floppy drive,
and Personal DECstation had "other type" FD (probably standard "bare"
drive).  I can see RISC ULTRIX installation guide explicitely
emphasizes that FD in Personal DECstation is not SCSI, supposedly
because there were many confusions roaming at fields (as far as I know
DECstation ROM monitor can not drive the FD as booting device).  You
could install SCSI floppy drive in Personal DECstation, but the
reverse can not be done.

At bottom line, besides handful exceptions, most Alphas have 3.5"
floppy drive inside their main chasis.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology