Subject: initializer element not computable at load time
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/14/1998 05:50:39
I'm slowly running through all the pkg tree, attempting to compile everything
on alpha, and fix what I can.  I seem to have run into a compiler message that
I've never seen before, and I don't fully understand what it is saying:

cddbd.c:192: initializer element for `acctab[0].at_def' is not computable at
load time

the code in question basicly attempts to do:

int foo=(int)"string";

While this is somewhat of a demented use of an integer, it obviously works on
i386 and whatnot (a.out?). But the alpha gcc chokes on it.  Is this compiler
basicly saying that it cannot perform a string to integer transform at
run-time?  What exactly is "load time"?  Is this a deficiency of the alpha,
64bit ints, or the ELF format?  (I find the last one hard to believe, seeing as
this program seems to work on other ELF machines)

I tried casting it to int32_t with no luck.. so it must be something else.
Thanks.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html