Subject: Re: Multia repair
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/09/1998 20:40:04
As Greg A. Woods wrote...
> [ On Mon, June 8, 1998 at 19:46:05 (-0700), Ross Harvey wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Multia repair
> >
> > > From port-alpha-owner-ross=teraflop.com@NetBSD.ORG Mon Jun  8 15:51:13 1998
> > > From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
> > > What I did to my NoName: unscrew the heatsink, drill a couple of holes,
> > > find some long screws and a small fan (like found in older Apple Macs)
> > > and put this on the CPU. It now only gets lukewarm to the touch.
> >
> > OK, but a word of warning: a torque spec applies so unless you have or
> > can borrow a calibrated torque nutdriver you might not want to do this.
> >
> > If the only purpose of the torque spec is to avoid stripping the aluminum
> > nuts then, well, big deal...but we don't know...
>
> If there were only one nut then I'd be certain that a torque spec were
> only to avoid stripping the threads in such an application, but with two
> I'd be a bit concerned that not matching the torque on both might unduce
> some undue stress on the package, which may not be very good for it.

Well, my Axp does not seem to be overly concerned with the issue. I used
a T-handled driver and only thumb and pointing finger ;-)

But I will try to find out how Digital repair facilities do this. I happen
to work for Digital in a building that also houses the European Repair
facility.

Stay tuned (hopefully..)

Wilko