Subject: Re: Multia repair
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/08/1998 18:47:32
On 08-Jun-98 Ross Harvey spoke unto us all:
# BTW, it is _not_ OK to run the alpha without airflow, however, up to a point
# the negative consequences are primarily a reduction in the CPU's lifetime.
# This might never be noticed. If you have a thermometer or thermocouple
# that works around 65C you can monitor it yourself...you will need some
# thermal grease. Measure the temp between the studs at the base of the heat
# sink and don't let it go much over 65C. (The "pain" test is a good one,
# BTW...if you can hold your fingers on it, it's fine, if you can't, it
# might be, might not be...)

When you say "without airflow"  What do you mean?  I have mine standing
vertically right now, with the little PS fan running on it.  If this isn't
enough.. let me know and I'll staple a fan to it in "suck" mode and draw air up
across the processor. (Ie, mount it outside the box, there isn't enough room
inside to mount one!)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html