Subject: Re: Multia repair
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/08/1998 23:29:18
As Curt Sampson wrote...
> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Joseph Sarkes wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any idea whether the cpu is cooled well enough without airflow
> > from the power supply (removed from the case with only the power supply leads
> > connected) as when i did this before, the cpu heatsink got very hot.
>
> I'd think it would be ok if you don't run it for too long. I've
> found the CPU heatsink always to get very hot; even with a 3" fan
> blowing directly through it on my AXPpci33s, it's too hot to touch
> for more than a second or two with bare skin.

Hmm. I've seen Alpha systems behave *very* weird when the CPU overheats.

What I did to my NoName: unscrew the heatsink, drill a couple of holes,
find some long screws and a small fan (like found in older Apple Macs)
and put this on the CPU. It now only gets lukewarm to the touch.

These fans have the added advantage that they are much more robust and
silent than the average Intel-cpu fan. The 166Mc NoName CPU now runs
flawlessly on 200Mc also.

Wilko