Subject: Re: Wanted ... advice about purchasing an alpha
To: None <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/08/1998 12:57:47
On Mon, 8 Jun 1998 bolo@cs.wisc.edu wrote:

> 	2) Is it possible to have some kind of "dual boot" setup
> 	on a Alpha to boot either NT or NetBSD?  On the same disk?
> 	On different disks?  I would assume that if the SRM console
> 	works with NT that I could at least choose which drive
> 	(and OS) to boot from at the SRM boot prompt?

The SRM console doesn't work with NT. However, some alphas have
enough flash RAM to have both ARC and SRM consoles in firmware at
the same time. Given one of these, I suspect you could put NT on
the lowest-numbered SCSI drive and boot it from there with ARC,
and put NetBSD on another SCSI drive which you could certainly boot
with the SRM console. (SRM will boot any drive you like.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates