Subject: Re: port-alpha/5546: port-alpha/lost a stack? exception_restore_regs bombs
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/06/1998 12:49:45
On Sat, 06 Jun 1998 14:09:44 -0400
 "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> wrote:

 > Are machine check codes consistent across NetBSD and Digital UNIX? I suspect
 > yes, because this is the PALcode talking?

Yes, it's the PALcode that does all of the machine check/logout area stuff.

 > Are they consistent from the 8200 down to the AlphaStation 400?

Depends... there are some generic machine check vectors.  There are some
that are processor-specific (e.g. EV4, EV5, etc.).  There are some that
are core logic chipset-specific (e.g. APECS, ALCOR, LCA, etc.).  There
are still some others that are platform-specific (AlphaStation 400,
AXPpci33, etc.)

 > There are a lot of docs around, is there a specific one that details machine
 > checks/panic codes?

The only documentation I know of that exists for the logout area stuff is:

	(1) PALcode source for each platform.

	(2) Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1) source.

The Alpha architecture manual describes some of the generic logout area goo
(e.g. offsets to processor-specific stuff).  The individual processor manuals
might have some info about the processor-specific things, but I'm not sure
about that.

If you are having problems w/ machine checks on an AlphaStation 400, Matt
and/or I can probably help you w/ the logout area stuff.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939