Subject: graphics cards
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/25/1998 15:31:22
Hi Alpha'ers,
It's me again...before I go out & get a null modem cable for serial
console, I've got a few questions regarding PCI options on the AlphaStation.

I see that you mention that "VGA" is supported...does this mean that I can
go out & buy any WinTel PC VGA card, or does it have to be made for Alpha?
If there is PCI compatibility between the Alpha & PeeCees, will the ZLXp-E2
card work in someone else's Pentium (running NT, since I do have the NT
drivers 4 the Alpha).

Also, Mark Levine mentions that he's successfully using the E2 with NetBSD
1.2, but it only works in VGA mode. I tried booting mine in 640*480, both
in switch setting 11 and 12 (different refresh rates). Unfortunately, they
both exhibited the same behaviour.

One final question...my AS came with a PCMCIA card in it (ISA card, with
twin PC Card slots). I see on the NetBSD (NOT Alpha-specific) site that
there are some mostly-working PC card drivers. Would it be possible to use
my PC cards with my AS? This one's just idle curiousity, as I only have
10bT and 14.4 modem cards, & the AS has built-in Ethernet & I've got
external modems.

Thank you for your time,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.