Subject: Re: DANGER WILL ROBINSON
To: None <cgd@pa.dec.com, mjacob@feral.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/21/1998 12:54:18
>From cgd@pa.dec.com  Thu May 21 12:05:38 1998
>To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
>Cc: Ross Harvey    <ross@teraflop.com>, colins@softimage.com,
>        port-alpha@netbsd.org
>From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com>
>Subject: Re: DANGER WILL ROBINSON
>Date: Thu, 21 May 98 12:03:49 -0700
>Sender: cgd@pa.dec.com
>
>> This message came out early in the new PMAP code. Then it
>> went away. Now it's back.
>
>It's been around 'forever'.  Indeed, Charles reported seeing this on a
>DEC 3000/300 running NetBSD/alpha (FSF fileserver) _years_ ago...
>
>It's just very intermittent, and can't be produced reliably.
>
>If you have a test case that can reliably produce it, that's _very_
>interesting news!

Sorry- I didn't mean that the message hasn't been around- it has.

When the new PMAP code was first integrated, I could cause the
message to appear by forcing very head load (lots of processes
lots of context switches). Then Jason did some farting around,
and that problem went away. The message has started showing up
again. Correlation does not imply causation, but one wonders.....