Subject: Re: alpha related problems with samba?
To: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/14/1998 15:40:03
On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 02:55:17PM -0400, nm wrote:
> At 11:29 AM 5/14/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >I used an AlphaPC164 running NetBSD and a fairly recent version of
> >SAMBA as the fileserver for my office network in Chicago for
> >about four months.  It works.
>
> NT clients or win95 clients?
> it would appear that if i type in \\Anomoly\shared in the run dialog
> box that Anomoly (the alpha) doesnt exist on the network but if i use
> the IP address it is easily found :(

Both.  Does samba running on another architecture (e.g. i386) with the
same config have the same problem?

This sounds like an issue with your WINS or DNS config.  I suggest
turning off WINS in both client and server and telling the clients
to use DNS.  For things to work with NT you may have to add a A
record to your DNS with the name of the fileserver and its IP address;
this sounds silly but I notice I have one and I may have had to add it
to get NT clients to work without WINS, I can't quite recall.