Subject: Re: alpha related problems with samba?
To: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/14/1998 12:51:43
Your message dated: Thu, 14 May 1998 01:11:53 -0400
>At 12:33 AM 5/14/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>> ok
>>
>>Just as a point of reference:  samba has run in the past on my
>>Linux/Alpha box without many problems.  So you might look for fixes
>>from that camp.
>
>good idea...

I've been using a samba server on a multia running NetBSD-1.3, without
problems now for several weeks. Clients are two Windows'95 machines.
I got the same compiler warnings of course, but as things work for me
relatively well these warnings may not be your actual problem. Fixing the
warnings is a good thing no metter what, so...

BTW, I didn't get WINS to work though. I tried, spent a night on it and came
to the conclusion that configuring a DNS server is probably a lot easier
than the WINS stuff. I looks simple at first glance, but when it didn't
work I used tcpdump and debuglog of samba to see what was going on.
You *don't* want to know. It was a nightmare, of the worst kind. I'm not
joking. These mortal eyes have seen....

Feico Dillema.