Subject: Build failures
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/13/1998 17:00:06
I've the following error when trying to build the world on my Alpha
(-current from to-day):

---[SNIP]---
install ===> readline
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc && make depend && make && make install)
cc -O  -Werror  -I/usr/local/src/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../common -I/usr/local/src/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch  -I/usr/local/src/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/../arch/alpha -c -DL__gcc_bcmp -o __gcc_bcmp.o /usr/local/src/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c
/usr/local/src/NetBSD/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/libgcc/libgcc2.c:33: tconfig.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
zsh: 11501 exit 1     make build 2>& 1 |
zsh: 11502 done       tee build.log
---[SNIP]---

It looks like it's trying to build the toolchain. Last time I checked
the Makefile was set up to not build the toolchain for Alpha, but it looks
like the egcs changes broke that.

I've tried setting `USE_EGCS=yes' in /etc/mk.conf, but no luck there either,
I get:

---[SNIP]---

I deleted my /usr/src tree and supped the whole thing again before I did
this last build (in the vain hope that it would help).

BTW, is there anything (other than lack of time) that prevents the NetBSD
build process from building the build tools first (as on FreeBSD)? This
would fix an awful lot of the random futzing I've had to do every time
I want to build the world on NetBSD.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@erols.com>
``And when one of our comrades was taken prisoner, blindfolded, hung