Subject: Suggestions for AlphaPC164 for NetBSD
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Yuri Gindin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 05/11/1998 11:52:54
I need some help from you. I suppose to buy an AlphaPC164 and use NetBSD
on it. Currently I run NetBSD-current on SparcLX but it's to slow and
I want to buy some faster computer like alpha.
I have the followin questions about what system to buy ?
1) Motherboard, processor and cache. SX or LX or other 533MHz or 600MHz,
1MB or 2MB of external cache ? What are the approximate price differences?
2) SCSI or PCI-IDE. I saw that PCI-IDE is supported in current.
If SCSI what controller is the best and cheap (NCR/ISP/Adaptec/other)
and from which I can boot with the latest SRM ?
3) Sound card. What is supported on this systems under NetBSD?
4) Framebuffer. What is supported by -current's Xserver ?
5) Network card, I suppose that many supported. What is the best bet and
not expensive ?
Thanx in advance.
NetBSD is a great OS.
Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd.
Work phone: +972-3-6181118
Mobile phone: +972-53-544882
Home phone: +972-3-6735883
PGP Key fingerprint = 5D 56 0B 88 F1 51 4B F7 52 FE 62 28 76 0A 18 77
PGP public key available via http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/pks-commands.html