Subject: Re: AXPpci33 Install floppy panic
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/05/1998 21:38:37
As Curt Sampson wrote...
> On Tue, 5 May 1998, Stan Pietkiewicz wrote:
>
> > I keep getting a panic when the NetBSD/alpha 1.3 install floppy
> > appears to detect a second (non-existent) vga card in my AXPpci33. Is
> > this possibly related to a "**mouse error**" message on the monitor right
> > after "initializing keyboard", or is something else broken?
> >
> > BTW, I get the mouse error message whether or not I've got the mouse
> > plugged in to the first serial port.
>
> Probably not. The mouse should certainly not go into the first
> serial port on an SRM system; that's the serial console. Normally
> the mouse would be plugged into the PS/2 mouse port; I don't know
> if there's a connector for it on systems with the AT keyboard
> connector rather than the PS/2 keyboard connector.

No. there isn't. I have read (in Digital internal newsgroups) reports of
people who have successfully removed the AT connector and put a pair of
PS/2 connectors onto the NoName. Can be done if you know how to handle a
soldering iron.

You now also know why Digital Unix is only supported on the PS/2 style
boards.

Wilko