Subject: NetBSD/alpha switches to UVM virtual memory system
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/03/1998 21:30:15
Hi folks...

I'd like to announce that NetBSD/alpha has switched over to the new
UVM virtual memory system.  UVM is a complete rewrite of the NetBSD
virtual memory system, and has proven to be a much better performer
than the Mach VM system.  UVM also supports advanced features such
as page loanout, and is being used in the development of a unified
buffer and page cache for NetBSD.

Hats off to all the folks who worked on UVM to make it happen: first and
foremost, Chuck Cranor, who designed and implemented UVM, Matthew Green,
who handled integration issues and wrote the swap subsystem, and Chuck
Silvers, who wrote the anonymous memory pager (which added support for
shared memory).  (And anyone else I might have forgotten; please point
out if I have!)

Please direct any questions about UVM to tech-kern@netbsd.org.  If you
have questions specific to UVM on NetBSD/alpha, please direct them
to port-alpha@netbsd.org.