Subject: Re: Trouble booting on Multia
To: None <lamj@stat.cmu.edu, port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/20/1998 14:51:35
> I'm having trouble booting NetBSD on a recently purchased DEC Multia
> /w 64MB RAM and 4GB external HD.  Booting NetBSD 1.3 worked just fine
> for about a week, but then refused to work quite suddenly.  At the SRM

Sadly. this story has been repeated over and over. Something inside the
Multia just fizzles and dies, and it seems to happen to everyone. You
are probably quite lucky that it only lasted a week, you can probably
return it. (There might be something like  an "implied warranty of
merchantibility" in every US sale, so don't worry too much about the
exact disclaimers by the seller.) To repeat: you need to send that
thing back to wherever you got it ASAP.

And instead of buying Multias, my recommendation for a minimum price
systems is that you get an AXPPCI33. Same price, same speed, same
processor, but much greater reliability and a standard form factor.
Nothing on the planet is as likely to fail as a Multia, it appears.