Subject: egcs 1.0.2 patches available for alpha netbsd 1.3
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul H. Anderson <pha@pdq.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/17/1998 17:19:21
I got egcs 1.0.2 working on my 164LX running NetBSD 1.3.  It has a few
problems, which I list below.

To get it working for yourself, obtain the file
ftp://egcs.cygnus.com:/pub/egcs/releases/egcs-1.0.2/egcs-1.0.2.tar.gz

Also obtain my patch file ftp://ftp.pdq.com/pub/alpha/diff.alpha

Untar it, then cd to that directory, and use:

patch -p1 <diff.alpha

Then, do ./configure and make.

I repeatedly built it, installed it, rebuilt it, and reinstalled it (3
times today), and to the best of my knowledge, it should build on a
alpha/netbsd 1.3 system.  I only tested it with building and rebuilding
itself, and compiled 35,000 lines of c++ code, which it did correctly
(unlike gcc 2.7.x).  I never built a kernel, so I'd make sure I had the
original toolchain tarball around before installing egcs.

problems:

exceptions not tested at all

c++ static initializer seems to have problems (w/String object in libg++)

ELF .notes section not filled out properly.  (see
http://www.netbsd.org./Documentation/netbsd/index.html for more information
about this).

possible ECOFF remnants from Linux port?

there are egcs build time warnings about builtin string
function type mismatches (strcpy, etc).

g77 has warnings about subscript of type 'char'.

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-unknown-netbsd1.3/egcs-2.90.27/include/limits.h:31:
SCHAR_{MAX,MIN}, UCHAR_{}, CHAR_{}, etc, are redefined - I don't know why
egcs put these limits back in... must be a config problem here.

gdb has problems single stepping in c++ programs.  toolchain compiler
did this also, though, so I'm not sure that I made this any worse.

license status:

The diffs are changes made directly to egcs-1.0.2.  My changes are freely
available, though I need to sign a piece of paper that says so, I guess
(I'm happy to do this, but I need to see it first...).  No code outside of
egcs-1.0.2 was used.  The files are derived from alpha linux and
i386/netbsd configurations.

I'll be out of town for the next week, but this should at least get some
people ahead of where they were before.

Paul

| Paul Anderson           Public Data Queries, Inc.    |
| pha@pdq.com             734-213-4964(W) 994-3734(H)  |