Subject: Re: 1.3 -> current
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1998 08:36:51
Johnny C. Lam wrote:

>         It seems that the Alpha port is like the mac68k port from a
> year ago -- it's better to track current than to stay with the
> release.  On my Mac, I would grab binary snapshots and compile my own
> kernels, and I was hoping to do the same with my Multia.
>         What's the best way to move from 1.3 to current on the Alpha
> port?  I looked for a recent snapshot at ftp.netbsd.org in
> /pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha, but found only the compile toolchain.  If I
> grab the current-source tarballs, how do I go about compiling and
> installing a current kernel + userland?

Install 1.3, grab the current-source tarballs, use sup to
keep them up to date...

What's the problems with 1.3 that is causing you to want to
track -current? There've been a lot of improvements but I
run pretty much nothing but 1.3 binaries and I even have
an alpha or two that have been running GENERIC from 1.3
for months w/o problems.