Subject: Need help with X on 1.3
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Shane B <that1guy@azstarnet.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/08/1998 17:39:21
I have 1.3 running on my Multia and would like to get X running as well.
Below is a dump of startx.  Issuing startx starts the server to a point
where the X server begins, gray background with the cursor centered in the
screen, proceeds to open one xterm with a prompt, then hangs.  Control of
the system is not regained until the mouse is moved, at which point, the
error listed below about reading the keyboard is shown.  control-C drops
me back to the csh prompt.

The kernel has been built with the proper options for this machine and
should be noted that it acted the same way with the generic kernel. I'll
be honest, this is my first attempt at installing X (on any machine) but
I'm not finding any configuration utilites such as xfree86 that's found on
other architectures.  It looks to me as though I need to configure X for
this machine, but I'm at a complete loss as to where I should start.

The X server that's installed came from ftp.cdrom.com from the 1.2 alpha
build.  The files that I initially retrieved from the 1.3 binary/sets
folder did not contain an X server.  The command which X provided nothing,
startx would produce an xinit error: file not found (errno 2)  I assume
this was xinit looking for the X server.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Shane
that1guy@azstarnet.com

System Configuration:
This system is basically as is came from DEC (other than the OS of course)
Alpha Multia 166 (UDB)
NetBSD 1.3 / kernel built with TGA support
32MB Ram
325MB internal HDD sd0 mounted on / @ 77% capacity
Built-in TGA video
Built-in Ether on de0
Built-in NCR scsi
pckbd0 @ pcppi 0
pms 0 @ pcppi 0
tga 0 @ pci 0 dev 11 function 0

Dump of startx:

Dump of startx:

OsVendorInit
alphaKbdPriv.fd = -1 (2)
alphaPtrPriv.fd = 0 (2)
Getting interface configuration: Device not configured
alphaTGAinit
mapped
width = 1024, real width is 1024, fb_off is 0x201000
added mouse = 0x140057c00
added kbd = 0x140057a00
going to register
registered mouse
registered kbd
mi-registered mouse
kbd device init
alphaMouseProc (0)
init
init a
init b
alphaMouseProc (1)
on
on a
on b
on c

*** NOTE: all above is seen right before xterm window shows up***
*** no further activity until mouse is moved, then the rest shown***
*** below is seen ***

Reading keyboard: Bad file descriptor

Fatal server error:
Could not read the keyboard
xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"^M
xinit: connection to X server lost.^M

***returned to prompt***