Subject: Re: status of ncr 53c810 scsi adapter?
To: NetBSD/Alpha port list <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Lepple <clepple@foo.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/22/1998 21:45:23
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> The driver's reliability is bimodal. On a machine/disk combo on which
> it works, it is nearly 100% reliable. On a machine/disk combo on which
> it does not work, it will fail to work for more than a few seconds to
> few minutes. You will not operate the thing for several weeks only to
> have a failure -- you'll know very fast if you have trouble.

I think I have one of the former machines. Depends on how you define "nearly
100%" reliable :-)

In all seriousness, is this problem widespread enough that we should make an
attempt to quantify the successes and failures of certain machine/disk
cominations?

As an example of this, NetBSD/mac68k has a page
(http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/) which lists known
working and non-working machine combinations.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@foo.org || clepple@ugrad.ee.vt.edu