Subject: Re: status of ncr 53c810 scsi adapter?
To: Mark H. Levine <yba@polytronics.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/19/1998 23:19:21
As Mark H. Levine wrote...

>    Charles Lepple writes:
>    > What is the current status of the code for the 53c810? I keep seeing
>    > references to how it is buggy, and that it occasionally doesn't work.
>    >
>    > Essentially, I am trying to get an estimate of the percentage of uptime
>    > I would have with a UDB with said SCSI adapter :-)
>
>    The driver's reliability is bimodal. On a machine/disk combo on which
>    it works, it is nearly 100% reliable. On a machine/disk combo on which
>    it does not work, it will fail to work for more than a few seconds to

> There was some loose talk here about giving this driver some priority because
> of its support in SRM and being built-in to eb164 systems... is there actually
> anyone doing development?  If not, is there anyone who can give pointers to
> documentation on how to correct NCR scripts?  I've recently heard of a new

I suggest to send mail to Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> Maybe he is also
on this list, I don't know. But in any case he is the one who does the
ncr driver for FreeBSD and also has docs AFAIK. On my FreeBSD box I have
2 NCR810 cards and they run like a charm, even with exotic stuff like a
DLT drive and a (notorious) Exabyte 8200

Just my $0.02

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --