Subject: Re: 164SX support.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/1998 12:16:15
> Comment:
> The BROKEN_PROM_CONSOLE fix seems to do ugly things to other machines
> than my as well. Maybe it should not be turned on by default?

If it's not enabled, then many alphas won't be able to reboot after
running NetBSD/alpha.  (Or at least, they weren't able to when I was
developing the code.)

I thought that that felt like 'broken' firmware, hence the name of
that #define.  Broken, or not, however, it's a constraint that has to
be lived with.  Indeed, I'd say that it's not unlikely that if you
fixed the code to frob the various interrupt registers correctly
(rather than just touching ports which don't exist on your box), and
if you disabled that #define, the kernel would have a fair chance of
not rebooting correctly on your system...

cgd