Subject: Non-booting Multia
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Cully <shmit@erols.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/07/1998 02:50:12
I've spent the better part of today trying to net-boot my Multia. I
get as far as the second-stage boot, at which point it tries to send
out a bootp request to find its IP address and NFS server when the thing
hangs.

>From the tcpdump output it looks like the Multia keeps sending bootp
requests, which my server answers, but for some reason the Multia throws
out. Strangely, I don't have problems net-booting the AlphaServer 500's
we have, only the Multia.

I'm using the 1.3 tree to do all of this with, BTW.

Here's the console output:

[snip]
>>>boot ewa0
(boot ewa0.0.0.8.0 -flags a)

Trying BOOTP boot.

Broadcasting BOOTP Request...
local inet address: 207.172.25.171
remote inet address: 207.172.25.236
TFTP Read File Name: /netbsd.alpha
..
bootstrap code read in
base = 166000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 15710
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 158000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

NetBSD/Alpha Network Boot, Revision 1.6
(cjs@bishop, Wed Dec 31 00:53:26 PST 1997)

VMS PAL revision: 0x1000000010530
OSF PAL rev: 0x1000000020123
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

Boot flags: a

boot: boot device name does not contain ethernet address.
boot: using hard-coded ethernet address.
boot: ethernet address: 08:00:2b:e4:d6:7f
bootp: no reply
net_open: BOOTP failed
open netbsd: Input/output error

[...]
[snip]

Any help would be most appreciated.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@erols.com>
``And when one of our comrades was taken prisoner, blindfolded, hung