Subject: rpc.bootparamd problem on alpha?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/06/1998 14:42:04
I recently replaced my '486 fileserver with my multia box. I used this server
to netboot some diskless intel machines. However, I cannot get bootparams to
work on the alpha-box. when I put it in debug mode it says something like
(from the back of my head):

whoami request for <client-address>
This is host <client-address>
whoami request failed.

checking with tcpdump, it does not reply to a boot-request at all.
AFAIK I use the same (or very similir) configuration on the alpha box
as on the intel box previously. I had no problems with rpc.bootparamd
on teh intel machine.

Have I overlooked something, and made a configuration mistake? Or have I
found a bug. I'm pretty much clueless wrt. why it does not work. All
the obvious config stuff seems to be ok to me. The alpha is running
an early NetBSD-1.3-Beta. I'm out of NetBSD source code at the moment, so
I'm temporarily unable to rebuild or debug things myself. Anybody seen
this problem with rpc.bootparamd on the alpha? Is anybody using it
successfully (using what version of NetBSD?).

thanks to everybody for 1.3 (I'll be upgrading in a few days again)
and happy new year!

{ Feico Dillema,                                                        }
{ Install NetBSD as first step in your MS-ware 12-step recovery program }