Subject: Re: DEC Alpha XL 366, can it run BSD?
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/19/1997 21:51:27
> >I just found out I'm going to have a happy Christmas indeed.  My
> >wife was playing at an internet auction and accidentally bought a
> >Digital XL 366 Alpha, model no. SN-A23AA.
> >
> >Unfortunately, it comes with (gag!) WinNT.  Please, tell me I can
> >install BSD on this thing without being a certified kernel hacker.
>
> Nope.  You can't.  The XL doesn't have an SRM console available for it and
> NetBSD needs an SRM console.

One of the baseline requirements for the FreeBSD Alpha port was
supposed to be the ability to run on an ARC console.

There are a couple of things that FreeBSD wants to do that the ARC
console doesn't support very well.

I think initially, the support will be for SRM, though...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.