Subject: overclocking a NoName
To: port-alpha list NetBSD <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/18/1997 19:24:45
Hi there,

I just had to try it: overclocking the 166Mc NoName Alpha cpu. Fortunately
the NoName board has a set of jumpers that allows you to choose multiple
clock multipliers, from 66 to 300 Mc I think.

I could get my 166Mc CPU to run on 200Mc:

NetBSD 1.2 (GENERIC) #78: Fri Sep 13 12:09:37 EDT 1996
    cgd@bunnahabhain.pdl.cs.cmu.edu:/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/GENERIC
Alpha PC AXPpci33 ("NoName"), 200MHz

On 233Mc it won't run. Since the 233Mc CPU has a completely different
DECpartnr (the 21-class) I suspect the 166Mc simply does not understand
more than the 200Mc multiplier. If you want to try your luck, please note
that you need the V0.5 SROM. I suspect that there are a considerable
number of 166Mc NoNames that have V0.3 SROM installed.

As for reliability, I have it running 'memx' under Digital Unix for over
24 hours, without any hitch.

Wilko

(if this melts your chip, don't complain to me)
----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  ------