Subject: Re: State of ALPHA alpha 1.3
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/12/1997 00:40:44
Jason Thorpe wrote

> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:05:39 -0500
>  "Mark H. Levine" <yba@polytronics.com> wrote:
>
>  > I wonder if this means you think there is a working XFree86 for it now,
>  > or something other than the TGA1-only server?  Moving folks off Linux,
>  > which someone else held out as a goal, will take having a display driver
>  > that works, I would think (I know it is true for me).  I watched NT on
>  > a 21164, and it screams.  I would love for the picture you paint to be
>  > true :).
>
> It all depends on your goals.  In many ways, NetBSD/alpha outperforms
> Digital UNIX in I/O operations.  That is our (NAS's) primary focus.

Indeed, DEC Alpha's make superior servers, but they are also great
workstations...

Unfortunately, this is only possible with Linux as there is no
X-Server available supporting standard PCI graphics cards other than
the TGA variety.

Will there be a X-server other than for TGA in future? Considering
the availibitly for Linux and DU, I am suprised that it isn't
supported on NetBSD-alpha.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf