Subject: Re: Multia Firmware
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG, root@garbled.futureone.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/26/1997 13:27:42
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com - writes...

> OK.. I managed to get the little multia booted with a greusome floppy
> hack.. ie:
>
> boot of the install floppy, shell, mount root via nfs to /mnt
> mount up usr on /mnt/usr
> chroot /mnt
> /etc/rc
> exec login
>
> b) tried to compile new kernel:  got this:
>
> fatal kernel trap:
>
>     trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
>     curproc    = 0xfffffe004a55f000
> 	pid = 2, comm = pagedaemon
>

> This happens sporadicly during the kernel compile.. I can do a few
> files (about 10) and then suddenly WHAM.  I created a swapfile like the
> diskless manual said to.. and did a swapon /usr/swap
>
> Did I miss something here?
>
> generous debug output available on request.  ;)
>
> Multias are fun..  Wheeeeeeee!!!!
>
> ---
> Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.futureone.com
> http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html

I suspect your crash happened when the kernel tried to actually use
its nfs-mounted swap file.

Unfortunately, diskless operation is mostly broken right now because
NFS swap doesn't work. It's broken on other platforms, too, not just on
alpha.  You might want to send-pr this and maybe also post a _short_
summary to current-users regarding a problem with the release. You
might try putting in some more RAM and then running without swap.
Avoid MFS right now!

This problem is easy to reproduce so the debug output and crash log are
not needed. I believe the goal is to fix this before the final
release.

Ross Harvey
ross@teraflop.com