Subject: Re: SYSVSEM: is there any reason why...
To: None <cjs@portal.ca, core@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@ns.feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/24/1997 11:47:38
> >On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>
>> the GENERIC include for alpha doesn't include SYSTEM V semaphore support?
>
>Yeah. There's some confusion as to how things really should be
>named. For many ports, GENERIC is the `has everything' kernel.
>However, on the alpha port this is the ALPHA kernel; the GENERIC
>is more like an `enough to get going' kernel.
>
>What's the NetBSD `standard' for what goes into each type of kernel?

Darned if I know. I thought GENERIC would be 'has bare support for
everything'. That's what GENERIC means to me. Anyone on CORE want
to respond?

The reason I ask is that I'm almost ready to release NetWorker for NetBSD,
and if I can't depend upon SYSVSEM being supported by most reasonable
kernels I have to do a wad more work.