Subject: Re: subtle breakage
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/13/1997 14:41:13
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	It could be that we're down to terminology and phrasing here.
> 	The cygnus toolchain source is part of the NetBSD/alpha
> 	architecture specific release. Its 'bundled' in the alpha
> 	directory of each release and snapshot.

Well, it hasn't always been in the past, but it will certainly be
bundled in this release. I don't intend to also bundle it in snapshot
(except with a symlink) unless it changes, since it changes so much
more slowly than NetBSD itself does. (I've upgraded my toolchain
once in the past eight months or so.)

> 	The appropriate Makefiles in the main tree could automatically
> 	look 'across' into where the toolchain source lives so a
> 	'make build' can do the right thing (for suitably generous
> 	definitions of 'the right thing').

Well, as I said, it changes so infrequently there's not much point
in rebuilding. Also, we don't have a set of BSD makefiles; the
thing is still done with GNU configure.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates