Subject: Re: subtle breakage
To: Tom Linden <tom@thirdmillenium.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/13/1997 12:15:21
> I don't think rudeness is called for.  I read it as constructive criticism
>
> > Hm.   If you have money at stake and 70 developers working on your
> > project, and you can't afford to get to know the Alpha port in depth,
> > maybe you shouldn't be using it...

I'm not following you, Tom.   I don't see any rudeness in the above
statement.   I think it's a fair statement that if you can afford 70
engineers to work on your product, but you can't afford one full-time
engineer to track NetBSD/Alpha, then you probably hadn't ought to be
using it - it's not in a state yet where it makes sense to put it into
a product offering if you don't have any local expertise on it.

By contrast, several other companies that I know of who are using (or
considering using) NetBSD/Alpha in product offerings or production
environments have at least one full-time engineer whose job it is to
track NetBSD/Alpha and fix it if there are problems.   To expect, at
this stage in the development process, that you can use it without
that investment strikes me as extremely unrealistic.   I don't think
it's rude to point this out.   Did you perceive my statement as rude
because I wasn't sufficiently clear, or do you still think I'm being
rude?

			       _MelloN_