Subject: Re: subtle breakage
To: Mark H. Levine <yba@polytronics.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/12/1997 22:17:42
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 00:13:32 -0500
 "Mark H. Levine" <yba@polytronics.com> wrote:

 > I always thought of /usr/local as a place to put site specific packages.
 > As an old UNIX user, I expect utilities like strip in /usr/bin if not /bin.
 > Is this shift because we're using binutils and those are "foreign" to NetBSD?
 > If not, what's the philosophy here?  It would help to know....

The reason it's in /usr/local/... is because it's not fully integrated
into the NetBSD source tree, yet.

This, however, should be fixed reasonably quickly shortly after 1.3 is
released, since GNU binutils is now in the main sources for gdb.

Unfortunately, binutils wasn't imported soon enough in order to fully
integrate the Alpha toolchain.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935