Subject: Re: Multia Firmware
To: Tim Atluru <atluru@tortel1.echo-on.net>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/08/1997 11:16:44
On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Tim Atluru wrote:

> The Alpha reaches the point of telling me that my firmware may need to
> be upgraded or I may need to rebuild the second stage boot loader using
> setnetbootinfo. Given this I know everything is working to the point
> of failure of the secondary loader.

You don't need an Alpha to compile setnetbootinfo. At least the way I
installed my Multia was by using a setnetbootinfo compiled on an i386. Just
add -I/sys/arch/alpha for stand/common/bbinfo.h .

>From there, it is pretty straightforward.

> In short...help!! Someone mentioned a jumper. I can't find such in the
> docs other than as described above. I don't have another Alpha (or for
> that matter another NetBSD box) to play with so I can't patch the boot
> loader. I welcome any input.

The jumper mentioned is for enabling fail-safe mode, for reverting to
known good firmware in case of flash corruption. It is located on the
bottom side of the system board and is marked W7/W11.

--
Soren