Subject: None
To: None <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/30/1997 11:40:28
>Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>  Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov> wrote:
>>  > And last, I am still unable to build a kernel.  With sources
>>  > supped today, the generic one will not build.  Also, with my
>>  > config file, I get the thousands of lines of errors as usual.
>>  > (my last mail)  What am I doing wrong here?  I assume that
>>  > this did work if someone actually got the snap to build..
>>
>> Can you resend these?  That is totally bizarre... I mean, I built a kernel
>> just today...
>>
>> Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
>
>I, also, have not been able to build a kernel for a while.  So,
>yesterday, I installed the 1.3_ALPHA snapshot on a fresh disk, grabbed
>the kernel source tarball, and attempted to build a GENERIC kernel.  While
>the snapshot seems to function OK (thanks Curt!), I get a *whole lot* of
>errors on the final link.  I've included dmesg output, as well as the error
>messages, below.

Ok, I found the problem.  /usr/bin/cpp is not actually cpp, but a script
pointing to /usr/libexec/cpp.  Try linking

	/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-unknown-netbsd1.2G/2.7.2.2/cpp

to /usr/libexec/cpp.  This should make everything happy.  By the way,
should this perhaps be in the FAQ, or readme or something?  Its quite
nasty, and since it doesn't stop make, its not too noticeable..

Chris Csanady