Subject: Re: netbsd and linux
To: Tom Linden <tom@thirdmillenium.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/23/1997 15:01:38
On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Tom Linden wrote:

> 	I'm curious why the two groups don't collaborate.  I don't
> 	see the purpose of continuing separate and similar lines of
> 	development.  It seems to me that a lot more could be accomplished
> 	by joining forces.  Just some thoughts.

There has been some collaboration. The toolchain is one example.

However, the two groups have somewhat different aims, from the
looks of it, definitely have different ways of working and building
systems, and the code bases are radically different.

Because of these concerns, probably a lot less would be acomplished
by joining forces. Remember, adding more programmers does not make
a project move any faster; often it makes it move slower.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates