Subject: Re: netbsd and linux
To: Tom Linden <tom@thirdmillenium.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/23/1997 11:57:06
> 	I'm curious why the two groups don't collaborate.  I don't
> 	see the purpose of continuing separate and similar lines of
> 	development.  It seems to me that a lot more could be accomplished
> 	by joining forces.  Just some thoughts.

Members of the two groups _have_ collaborated in the past to (quite!)
good effect, and both groups have benefitted from resources and
information made available by members of the othe group.

However, there are substantially different focuses between the two
groups.  One major (and, from the point of view of many NetBSD
developers and users, important) difference is that NetBSD will not
produce or use kernel code which is covered by the GPL, which rules
out using most Linux code...

cgd