Subject: Re: Boot Floppy Available
To: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/22/1997 16:46:59
> OK, so I was just too optimistic. I was thinking of e.g. a 2100
> versus a 2100A (A shifted from EISA -> PCI slots).

What do you mean "shifted"?  Both the AlphaServer 2000/2100 and the
AlphaSever 2000A/2100A appear to have PCI slots, just the latter pair
appears to have many more of them (at the expense of fewer EISA
slots).

The 2000/2100 family has a different systype than the 2000A/2100A
family, but I don't know why, or what (if any) significant differences
there are in the architecture.  I could easily believe they had to
change something in the I/O architecture to get reasonable bandwidth
out of 2x the number of PCI slots, though.  (It's worth noting that
apparently the 2000 and 2100 are the same systype, and that the 2000A
and 2100A are the same systype.  Again, I have no idea why.)

Just some data points...

chris