Subject: Re: Boot Floppy Available
To: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/20/1997 15:34:35
> Entering netbsd.gz at 0xfffffc0000300000...
>
> Support for system type 6 is not present in this kernel.
> Build a kernel with "options JESUS_KNOWS" and reboot.

I didn't realize when reading your previous message that there was a
printf like this anywhere in the code.

This is ... not a very useful message.  What it's really doing is
trying to tell you that your system is not supported at all by
NetBSD/alpha, but it doesn't actually do that and instead confuses the
issue.

It should be fixed.  It seems obvious that the code in question
should look like:

	if (unknown_cpu(cputype) || cpuinit[cputype] == nocpu) {
	} else {
		switch ...
	}

Though I don't know why the option names wouldn't be included in the
cpuinit table to make things even cleaner.

chris