Subject: Re: Boot Floppy Available
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/20/1997 19:45:07
As Curt Sampson wrote...

> I've just put up an alpha boot floppy on ftp.netbsd.org in
> /pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/new/bootfloppy.971018.gz. This contains an
> md (ramdisk) in it that has enough utilities on it to do an install
> in most circustances.
>
> It works fine on my AXPpci33, but if I could get a bunch of other
> people to test it out on various systems, I'd appreciate it. I had
> to strip a fair amount of stuff out of the kernel to wedge the
> whole thing on to a floppy, but I think we should be ok on all but
> the weirdest configurations.

Maybe I'm annoying but: could you please build the same thing
with options JESUS_KNOWS so that I can try it on different systems
taht are not officially supported right now (4100, 2100, 1000, Jensen).
(Assuming this is not a joke, that option I mean).

Trying the floppy on a Multia gave loads of "Error 10, FDC data overrun"
during kernel load. I get a # shell prompt on it, but after each line
printed on the console you get something like 10 empty lines. Fills up
your screen pretty rapidly... And a considerable number of 'unaligned
access" console messages are printed during execution of e.g. df, ifconfig
etc. Don't seem to hurt.

Wilko
------------------  Support your local daemons: run FreeBSD Unix  -----Yoda