Subject: Re: Boot Floppy Available
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: the Riz <riz@beast.boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/20/1997 09:25:01
Curt Sampson wrote:

> I've just put up an alpha boot floppy on ftp.netbsd.org in
> /pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/new/bootfloppy.971018.gz. This contains an
> md (ramdisk) in it that has enough utilities on it to do an install
> in most circustances.
>
> It works fine on my AXPpci33, but if I could get a bunch of other
> people to test it out on various systems, I'd appreciate it. I had
> to strip a fair amount of stuff out of the kernel to wedge the
> whole thing on to a floppy, but I think we should be ok on all but
> the weirdest configurations.

Well, it seems very close to working on my Alphastation 255, 128M RAM.  I
got it to boot (REALLY slowly... about 5 minutes to load the kernel), and
was playing around with the compiled in utils.  It seemed to freeze up
after doing a fsck_ffs on my /usr partition; this was after successfully
fscking my / partition.  I also got minimal networking up.  (I was
pinging).

Upon rebooting, when I tried to ifconfig the ether interface, the keyboard
seemed to lock up... it kept spewing '1111111111111111111' until the buffer
ran out, then started beeping at me.  Overall, I'd say the problem seems to
be keyboard-related.  (Incidentally, is there any sort of keyboard override
that'll drop into a debugger, or back to the boot prompt?)

On the third reboot, I successfully nfs-mounted a directory, but it again
locked up after an fsck of my /usr partition.

Like I said, it's REAL close to being usable for an install.

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz